Hello all and welcome my official IRC guide. Here, I will teach how to download files convieniently all through IRC (internet relay chat). I download all my anime files off IRC most of the time and so I'd like to show how you can download through IRC as well. For a start, ill point out the pros and cons of downloading through IRC.
NOTE: Some channels that you find, may be private and will not allow you to access/download their files so in case that happens, try finding another channel. IRC channels doesn't cover for everything you know, just certain files that you may want.
+There are no limits to downloading the files
+Faster then DDL
+You are able to download any old to new filles as long as you find the channel
-can be quite complicated to download files
-may not be easy to find the files or to access on their channels depending on their IRC address. In cases like these, your better off finding a DDL link.
-may take a while to get use to it.
First up, you will need the application, Mirc installed on your PC but if you don't have that yet, you can download it here: This is so that we can get started on downloading our files through IRC.
1. When you start downloading the application, you will probably see this window first: make sure you click run. After download Mirc, Follow the prompts to install Mirc.
2. Once Mirc has been installed and when you run mIRC, you will normally see the window below. This is called the Connect window and allows you to connect to IRC.
3. You will need to enter something for your Full Name and Email Address. These do not have to be your real full name and email address.
You will then have to choose your Nickname and Alternative nickname. These are the names by which other people will know you on IRC.
You can then click the Connect button and mIRC will connect to your chosen server. For example, we will connect to the DALnet random server. For mine, its rizon.net: custom server although any server is fine for now, since we only want a custom server.
4. Once you have connected to a server, your mIRC Favorites window will pop up. This window stores a list of your favorite channels and allows you to join them quickly and easily.
You can type in the name of a channel, such as #mIRC, or you can select a channel from the list. You can then click the Join button and mIRC will join your chosen channel.
5. Once connected to a random channel. The window should look something like this. Just don't type "hello all you good people" its not my screenshot.
Since the channel would be quite empty and bland, I suggest the next thing is to go on the internet and look for some channels there. As an example, I will use an anime channel to connect to.
This website has got a lot of anime fansub IRC channels. For me, I will connect to the Mahora-Fansubs. Simply, click on the fansubs IRC channel which is for me #firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have the empty channel window looking something like this so far,
then once you click on your fansubbers IRC chosen on the baka-updates website, it should come up with a window looking something like this below:
Click Ok to connect to that channel.
6. Once you click OK, you should come up with a window like this below: Leave the options as it is shown below and click ok. It should connect you to the channel now and when you hear some sounds/responses, it means you have connected to that channel. As you can see, im connecting to the #mahora-fansubs channel
7. Once connected. You should have a window similar to this: Yeah sorry, I tryed to crop the window but I failed but anyway... Should have a window something like this below.
8. Once you have the window up. Its now time to set up your downloading options so that you can download any files without any hassle.
First up, Click on Tools (at the top) then scroll down and click Options. A window should pop up.
Next click on DCC in the categories menu and set up your options the same like the window below: Don't click on OK just yet.
9. Next click on Ignore below the DCC categories tab. You should get a window looking something like this: Configure the options exactly the same as this window shown below: Again don't click on Ok just yet.
10. Next click on server below the DCC tab and configure the options like the window shown below
Once done You may now click on OK and return to the main channel screen of the fansubber.
Now then, to start downloading, type in the trigger shown in the topic section of the fansubber. As shown, mine would be !help so I type in !help . Once you have typed it in, press enter and you should receive a response looking something like this:
11. You should see a colored message shown as it is for me in red/any color
(-thedot- Enter "/msg Mahora|Nodoka xdcc list" and follow the link. if you need it, also look at: http://www.kasshin.net/leech_guide.swf")
for this message, if you want to find out the files from what you can download from this fansub, you type up the code
/msg mahora|nodoka xdcc list then press enter
mahora|nodoka being the bot file name/host.
It should then give you a response at where you can find the file listing for the fansubs.
12. From the looks of that, copy the website onto your web browser and press enter to find the file (XDCC) listing for that fansub or double click the link given in the dark red/colored text and follow the prompts, It should be safe to find the list, even though it says it may be unsafe. You should have a window with the file listing similar to this that you can request from the bot.
As you can see my list looks like this shown in the link:
13. As an example, I will download the first episode of Negima 1v2 in avi. To request the file, type in the code on the main channel window(not the web browser)
/MSG botname XDCC SEND x
x being the file number
AS I chose the example of downloading negima episode 1v2 in avi, I will type up the
/msg mahora|nodoka xdcc send #1
in order to download episode 1.
Once you type up the code, it should come up with a window warning if you would like to download the file.
Click Ok to accept and download the file or cancel if you don't want it. The download process should start.
14. Once your download has complete, you then click on the received files symbol that is below the help tab
in order to see what files you have downloaded through IRC. You will then see your completed file inside the window once you click on the received files symbol/option. Again its located at the bottom of the help tab just at the top of your main channel
15. You are now then able to copy that file onto any drive/folder where you want it. Congratulations, You have just downloaded
your first file through mIRC. Its not that hard once you get use to it and there is no limits to it.
I hope this guide has helped you to download through the use of mIRC and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me
Bonvnguyen- who has provided/typed up this guide.
Thank you for your cooporation.
NOTE: If you still have trouble, you may wish to check out this video here, its also an IRC guide but its a video step by step guide: