Total of 10 posts

Essential Apps for your Android

View Poll Results: What's your favorite phone operating system?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android

16 88.89%
  • iPhone

2 11.11%
  • MeeGo?

0 0%
  • Daaaah, what's an operating system? 8D

0 0%
+ Post New Thread
  1. Gigaman92 is offline Gigaman92's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Bahamut
    Country
    This is Gigaman92's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 1 - view all

Default #1

These are some of the apps that I've come across and use that are absolutely essential to the well being of my android phone. I currently use a Mytouch 4G rooted with Cyanogen 7.1 Release Candidate so some of these apps may require root. If I don't mention it's cost, the app is free.

Android Assistant

Info: An app that I install first and foremost whenever I'm working on someone's phone. Has an array of tools to keep your android running in top form.

AlwaysOnPC:

Info: While this one isn't truly essential, it's useful if you need to use Java on your phone. It allows you to connect and use a virtualPC running on a remote server. The PC runs Fedora and has Java and Flash with Google Chrome, Open Office, and Adobe Flash installed. This is for both iPhone AND Android and costs $20.00. A deal and a half in my opinion.

Dolphin Browser HD:

Info: The greatest Broswer on Android. Supports Flash and doesn't afraid of anything. Looks great on an HD screen and loads pretty quickly.

Root Explorer:

Info: A useful app for browsing your phone's memory and sdcard. Can extract zip and rar files and delete apps forced on you by your carrier. There are free alternatives but this one is the best in my opinion.

Norton Mobile Security BETA:

Info: A new and currently FREE malware protection app for Android. These days, Android malware are emerging more and more so it's about time to take up arms and install some sort of anti-malware application.

Beautiful Widgets:

Info: An app that installs truly beautiful widgets on your phone. I use it only for the "Super Clock", which makes your phone look pro. There is a free version.

Launcher Pro:

Info: An alternative launcher for Android. Speedy, customizable, stable (most of the time), and cool looking. Definitely essential. I have Launcher Pro PLUS which is a paid version but is even more customizable. I'll post some screen shots at the end of this post.

PowerAmp:

Info: THE greatest music app for Android. Supports a lot of different music formats such as FLAC and ALAC. It's widget looks awesome, the app it's self looks awesome and it even has an Equalizer! I can't listen to music on any other app but this and Pandora. It has a free trial that is just a free version that bugs you forever that you haven't paid yet. In some instances it may stop working, but it hasn't done so to me yet.

SetCPU:

Info: A CPU governor app that allows you to overclock your phone if your kernel supports it. Useful for keeping your phone running fast when your using it while keeping the battery usage to a minimum when the screen is off. It costs money but is totally worth it.

Noom Weight Loss:

Info: An app that keeps track of your weight, a daily log of your Calorie intake, and a fitness program that can keep track of your walking/running and accurately predict calorie burn of all sorts of excercises. Even if your not trying to lose weight, a perfect app for keeping up your health! I've personally lost 22 pounds using this app and I recommend it =D

SD-Booster:

Info: An App for boosting the speed of your SD card. It works by increasing the cache of your SD card. Absolutely free and useful.

And Here are the screenshots I promised! I'm using Launcher Pro Plus. Widgets on the screen include Beautiful Widgets Super Clock, Youtube Widget, and the SetCPU widget.

And here's my app drawer. Launcher Pro has the 3D App Drawer option, as you can see in this screen.

Last edited by Gigaman92; 07-01-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    "A Man Who Cannot Choose Ceases to Be a Man" - A Clockwork Orange

Check out my Youtube Channel Sparklin Water Productions for my Soul Eater parody, Soul Eater Giga Redux!
    Check out my fanfic! Sovereign Mind! Also on fanfiction.net! Imagine Haruhi Suzumiya in the future with a Kingdom Hearts plot and you're golden!

Do not Feed the Trolls D=

Claimed Character:

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Shemhazai
    Country
    This is l00dak's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #2

Hey, I've got a smart phone(my first) a week or so... And I am still getting used to it :P Are all those apps really necessary? I don't know much about the Android OS, but wouldn't all that just overburden it and make it slower? :P
    Open up your mind and you will feel it too, the sound, the touch, the thought that you've been so blind to...

Claimed AA characters :)

3. Gigaman92 is offline Gigaman92's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Bahamut
    Country
    This is Gigaman92's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 1 - view all

Default #3

A lot of those apps I listed are essential and no....smartphones are not like windows...at all o_o
    "A Man Who Cannot Choose Ceases to Be a Man" - A Clockwork Orange

Check out my Youtube Channel Sparklin Water Productions for my Soul Eater parody, Soul Eater Giga Redux!
    Check out my fanfic! Sovereign Mind! Also on fanfiction.net! Imagine Haruhi Suzumiya in the future with a Kingdom Hearts plot and you're golden!

Do not Feed the Trolls D=

Claimed Character:

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Shemhazai
    Country
    This is l00dak's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #4

Hm, cool. Next time I catch a Wi-Fi connection I will be sure to test some of those out :P Cheers!
    Open up your mind and you will feel it too, the sound, the touch, the thought that you've been so blind to...

Claimed AA characters :)

5. D-Prodi3y is offline D-Prodi3y's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Hashmal
    Country
    This is D-Prodi3y's Country Flag
    Credits

Default #5

Android ftw!! cool I've been looking for more apps to add to my smartphone and these are decent, thanks :D

~ "It was always happening right in front of me. But I pretended not to notice. This world is...merciless." ~

___ _ _ ___ ___ _ _ ___

My AA Stuff

6. IAmFilip is offline IAmFilip's Avatar

Threads

Rep
    Understand to be understood.

Rank
    Bélias
    Country
    This is IAmFilip's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 4 - view all

Default #6

Android of course ...

Your life starts NOW
    MAL

7. Ryuujin_Jakka is offline Ryuujin_Jakka's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Bahamut
    Country
    This is Ryuujin_Jakka's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #7

Android! Is this even a challenge haha

Nice topic. i like your list. Though i have tested most of yours and come to a different setup:

1. Root your phone !!! Without rooting android is only half the value!!
    2. Apps:
    Titanium backup - backup apps and data, make custom roms, etc.
    Go Launcher Ex - customize your home screen, widgets, etc.
    Advanced Task Killer - kill background tasks automatically and save lots of battery life
    Adroid Mate - file explorer that lets you enter the rooted areas od your phone

I support your choice of browser and music player! dolphin and poweramp are the best in the market!!

3. My personal favourites
    APNDroid - easy switch for your mobile internet connection
    Evernote - make notes and share them on every device/PC via evernote program
    Dropbox - store your stuff online and access everywhere

There are tons of more cool apps, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!! I have a Samsung Galaxy S and own it for like 18 months. I love it but im going to get a new one this summer. i need more power and android 4!!

If this is an android thread i want to mention the following:
    I bought an ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime last week and it the most awesome tablet you have ever seen!!! Much better than ipad2 and others i have held in my hands!!
    . . . there is no spoon . . .

My Claimed Character

8. MajorahRose is offline MajorahRose's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Zodiark
    Country
    This is MajorahRose's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #8

Ha, I'm with everyone else, Android is the best
    ~~

9. KazemaruShuuya is offline KazemaruShuuya's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Bélias
    Country
    This is KazemaruShuuya's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #9

True!!! Android is the best!!
    "Sorry, but it doesn't matter if you're a woman or even a child. I don't go easy on anybody who hurts my comrades"
    -Gray Fullbuster

"All I need is the power to be able to protect my comrades. So long as I can have the strength to do that, I don't care if I'm weaker than everyone in the world."
    -Erza Scarlet

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Mateus
    Country
    This is weaver's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 4 - view all

Default #10

Finally I got proper smart phone (Sony Xperia S) and It's amazing!!

- voted for
    Android, @Giga & Ryuu; thanx for the recommendations. I am not sure If want root my phone just yet, but maybe in the future.
    My current setup is:
    Easy Task Killer & Battery Saver
    Opera Mini
    Astro for File Manager & Backup
    Avast Mobile Security
    Officesuite
    History Eraser
    Flashlight (Very important app, that every smart phone user should have)
    +plus other apps came with the phone & I installed...

And my fav app is TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design): Very interesting talks, passes the time and tons of interesting info.
    Favorite Track atm: Muse - HYPER MUSIC .. .. .. :.

iAm Ernest & JesTER is Me.

.: