Total of 12 posts

Access and use ONE skype account from two computers.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. alex1_phang3 is offline alex1_phang3's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Hashmal
    Country
    This is alex1_phang3's Country Flag
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Hey guys is it possible to access the same skype account from two different computers, and still send those chat messages under the same name?

Have you guys tried it before? If it is possible, are there any notable differences?

I think my skype account was compromised, because I see messages I didn't type and send personally, and that have caused me many trouble.

Threads

Rep
    No worries.

Rank
    Adrammelech
    Country
    This is M9RFZZY's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 1 - view all

Default #2

Hmmmm im not sure if i understand completely.
    Yes, You can sign into Skype from Multiple computers. So long as you have the correct Username and password. I am not sure if you can do so simultaneously, But you can do it, and messages written will show up under the same name since it is the singular account.
    . The odd thing is the fact you have the message logs, cause as far as i remember those dont transfer between computers *I.E. If i had a convo with person A on one computer, I wouldn't see convo with person A on another, though i still have Person A in my contact list. Maybe im wrong since skype has gone though a few updates since i bothered to check, You can also change your Displayed name in convos temporarily and i believe the name will remain constant in the history. I am not sure if your using a group chat option or not. I hope this makes sense though, and helps in some way.
    Last edited by M9RFZZY; 03-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Trigun tribute.

My sig attempts.

sig colection. still growing.

3. alex1_phang3 is offline alex1_phang3's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Hashmal
    Country
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #3

/* Thanks for the reply 74|\||\|3R */

Okay, after reading a few ones online. I have a hypothesis, it is based on how Skype is supposed to automatically synchronize the chat histories.

Lets say there are 2 accounts, A and B;
    And if one account is logged on from two machines that stayed logged on,
    we call them A1 and A2. And lets use * to denote the one that is kept on and is sending instant messages.

Hypothesis:
    1. Skype only synchronizes the chat history TO the MACHINES that are in the chat together.
    2. The chat history is a file that can be "patched" with the missing parts (for a machine that doesn't sign on ) through synchronization.

A1 <---[1]---> A2...
    ..^..................^....
    ....\................/.....
    ....[2]..........[3]......
    ........\......../.........
    .........V....V...........
    ............B..............

Combinations:
    1. A1* A2* B* => All 3 parties are synched, no part of the chat history will be missing.

: ALL sync though route : [1] [2] [3]

2. A1* A2* B => Both A1 & A2 can see the message, but B will only be able to see it after it logs on to its account.

"In Skype 5.0 or higher, instant messages are saved for 30 days after the message is sent. This means that if you send a message to a contact who is offline, the saved message will be delivered as soon as the recipient signs in."
    Source: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3...I-do-with-it#3

: A1 & A2 sync though route: [1]
    : B gets message from the server :

3. A1* A2 B* => Both A1 and B can see the full chat log. Even if A2 logs on later without the presence of A1, it will not be able to see the full chat history.

: A1 & B sync though route: [2]

I am not sure how this works for group chats though.

I have people claiming that between A1 & A2, the first to send a message in a group chat stays and the other one is kicked out automatically, lets say A2 got kicked out.

So, when A1 logs out and A2 logs in, A2 gets the synchronized chat.

What do you think? Is this how Skype is supposed to sync chats?
    Because honestly, I don't quite get it.
    Last edited by alex1_phang3; 03-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Chaos
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #4

I think so.. A friend was on skype on thier phone and compy.. It made things weird on their end, but it's possible xD

I think.. lol

Set by Roselillya <3

Threads

Rep
    No worries.

Rank
    Adrammelech
    Country
    This is M9RFZZY's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 1 - view all

Default #5

IDK if synchonization does take place... When i used to do it, i belive the logs stayed separate to the computer used.
    That being said i haven't had to switch comps in ages. So it might have changed to the point synchronization occurs across the platforms. I Would assume the data is separate though as skype itself doesn't hold the data online, Your computer holds the archived logs... Maybe im wrong...
    Trigun tribute.

My sig attempts.

sig colection. still growing.

6. DemonGod is offline DemonGod's Avatar

Threads

Rep
    Admin class Servant

Rank
    Administrator
    Country
    This is DemonGod's Country Flag
    Credits

Total Awards: 5 - view all

Default #6

chat log synchronization does most certainly not happen..

for synchronization to take place you have 2 options.
    1. both computers using the same account are connected to the server at the same time. In this case the log is synced every time this situation occurs, which is extremely impractical, this is not a situation that is ever expected, as accounts are personal and used by one person.
    or 2. The log is stored on a central server. And this is never done, too many privacy issues at hand here. It's like your phone provider saving a transcript of every phone call.

Thanks northernian :D

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    - Isaac Asimov

7. alex1_phang3 is offline alex1_phang3's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Hashmal
    Country
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #7

Option 1 is highly possible, but what if the parts of the log was actually stored in the machines but not on the server? So when the machines log on at the same time, they sync with each other?

Also I am wondering if there are any bugs are known for chat log synchronization for group chats. As mentioned by myself:

Originally Posted by alex1_phang3 View Post
    I am not sure how this works for group chats though.

I have people claiming that between A1 & A2, the first to send a message in a group chat stays and the other one is kicked out automatically, lets say A2 got kicked out.

So, when A1 logs out and A2 logs in, A2 gets the synchronized chat.
    Correction on the last line, I cannot be sure of it any more.

8. DemonGod is offline DemonGod's Avatar

Threads

Rep
    Admin class Servant

Rank
    Administrator
    Country
    Credits

Default #8

no the machines never sync with each other, that would imply a direct connection between the 2 machines which is virtually impossible, it's always through a server.

Quote from the skype features list:
    "A log file is created for each contact on a user's contact list. Log files are stored locally, meaning they are not available if a user switches computers. By default, the option to log conversations is disabled, but can be enabled in the tools / privacy panel."

so basically, if you got a message in your own chatlog, it was send from the pc you are viewing it from.
    if you do not recall sending this message, then someone else had managed to send it from your pc.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    - Isaac Asimov

9. alex1_phang3 is offline alex1_phang3's Avatar

Threads

Rep

Rank
    Hashmal
    Country
    Credits

No awards to display yet

Default #9

I see, lets see if I got this straight. So if the imposter and I happen to be on at the same time, I would be able to get whatever they sent through the sync via a server to my PC?

And DG, where did you get the quite from? If there's a place or something that explains this in-depth I would like to see it. Thanks in advance.

10. DemonGod is offline DemonGod's Avatar

Threads

Rep
    Admin class Servant

Rank
    Administrator
    Country
    Credits

Default #10

it's the wiki page listing all features skype has to offer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_of_Skype ), it does show a warning about being a bit out of date but the part on log saving is valid as far as i can see.. i use skype from time to time myself and my logs on different machines are separated and locally storing log files is pretty much the standard for every messaging program for years now.

and there aint much in depth to explain.. locally stored basically means it saves to the machine and does not share between machines.

i have done some digging and found this question on the skype forums: http://community.skype.com/t5/Window...er/td-p/159190
    it seems that if you and your 'imposter' are logged in at the same time you can listen in to each other (for chats anyway, not for calls).
    so if your 'imposter' does something you can see it and it will be logged on your system.
    and of course the other way around, everything you do is visible and is logged for your 'imposter'.

otherwise the logs are completely separated.

- Isaac Asimov